This month’s featured staff member is Marilyn Cypers. Marilyn in the China Program manager, and here is a little bit more about her:
1. How did you get started at Wasatch? Every since my daughters first adoption, I had a dream to work with adoptions. I went to a basketball game that my grandson was playing in and Kathy Junk had a son on the same team. We got talking about adoptions and she told me they needed someone at Wasatch. I called, interviewed and began working there the following week.
2. Describe your job at Wasatch: I am the China program manager and work with families to compile their dossier. This is a very tedious process and involves lots paperwork. I then compile the dossier, scan the authenticated documents into the CCCWA database, and send the dossier.
3. What is your favorite thing about your job? I think adoptive parents are my favorite people. They have such big hearts and are so very loving and compassionate. They all seem to “get it” that children are so much more worth the adoption expense than a new car or any other item that depreciates over time. With children, you get lifetime joy.
4. Any favorite stories or memories from working at Wasatch? So many wonderful stories I cannot choose one. I love seeing the pictures of the family all together after bringing their children home. That is truly my pay day. To hear how much the children progress in such a short time once they have the love of a family is amazing to me.
5. In your spare time, what is your favorite thing to do? I love spending time with all of my grandchildren, 7 of which are adopted. My hubby and I also love to spend time together and travel a bit. I always have my computer with me as I travel so I can make sure that I am never the one who holds up the adoption process. I know firsthand, from watching my daughters, that it is a very emotional journey and want to make it as stress free as possible.
6. What is your favorite type of food? It’s a tossup between Chinese and Mexican
7. Do you have a favorite movie or movies? I love musicals
8. What are you most thankful for? My family, hands down
9. Do you have any hobbies? I make cards and belong to a book club, I love to read.
10. Do you have any hidden talents? I do not…I have always wished I had a beautiful voice because I love music and singing.
11. Have you had other jobs in the past? I did work for the government years ago.
12. What is your favorite holiday? I love celebrating anything but Christmas is probably my favorite because people are always nicer at that time of year.
13. What was your favorite subject in school? Math and literature
14. Tell us about your family: I have four children. My girls came first and were just under 2 years apart. I then had two boys just a year apart. I love seeing my girls being best friends and helping each other always. My boys have always been best friends as well and they are even in business together. What more could a mother ask for?
15. Anything else you could tell us about yourself to get to know you: Maybe because it is November, I think daily of all the blessings I enjoy…health, good friends a loving family a job doing something that I feel blesses others and a wonderful husband.