Information About Mexico Adoptions
With Mexico Adoptions, there are no accurate statistics on how many children with special needs are waiting.
Currently there are many older children (5+ years) and sibling groups in orphanages throughout Mexico who are waiting for an adoptive family. These children have no future if not adopted. Many children are abandoned in orphanages. When a child is abandoned, it is often because the birth parents are not in a position to feed, clothe or take care of the child and they believe adoption is the only way to provide their child with a good life.
What are the requirements for Mexico Adoptions?
Adoptive parents must meet the following requirements:
- Parents must be heterosexual and married or cohabitating for three years. One spouse must be at least 25 years of age to begin the adoption.
- Same-sex couples may adopt from MEXICO CITY ONLY.
- Single woman may adopt and must be 25 years old and 17 years older than but no more than 45 years older than the child they wish to adopt.
- Single men may adopt and must be between the ages of 25 and 17 years older than but no more than 45 years older than the child they wish to adopt.
- Adoptive parents may not be 45 years older than the child they wish to adopt.
- Adoptive parents must be 17 years older than the child they wish to adopt.
- Adoptive parents must prove financial stability.
- There is no limit to the number of other children in the home.
- Adoptive parents should not have a criminal record.
- A one week to three-month trip will be required, depending on the Mexican State where adoption is taking place.
- A second trip to finalize will be required.
- Up to 4 trips may be required, depending on the Mexican State where the adoption is taking place.
What are the characteristics of the available children?
- The physical problems of available children can range from very minor and fixable to very severe and permanent.
- There are both boys and girls available.
- The children’s ages may range from 5 years old to teenage children.
- Younger children may be available through the adoption of sibling groups.
How is a child match done?
Once you have submitted a dossier to the Mexican Central Authority, you will be put on a wait list. The Mexican adoption officials will make a match from available children based up on the recommendations in your home study.
Do I need to travel to Mexico?
A minimum of two trips is required. There could be up to 4 visits in total, depending on which Mexican state you are adopting from.
The first trip will be a socialization visit. You will be invited down to meet with the child that has been referred to you. This visit will last from one to three weeks, and will be supervised by Mexican adoption officials.
The second trip will be to finalize the adoption. Depending on the State where the adoption is being finalized you may spend several weeks to a few months in Mexico.
If other trips are needed, WIA will detail them out on a case-by-case basis.
|Maintenance and Oversight Fee||$850|
|Maintenance and Oversight Fee multiple Children||$850 per additional child|
|Home Study Fee||$1,500|
|Home Study Fee (non-Utah)||≈$2,500 – $4,000|
|Home Study Review Fee||$250|
|Agency Placement Fee||$4500 1st Child $3,000 2nd Child $2,500 3rd Child etc.|
|Post Adoption Report Fee||$1,500 Utah $1,200 Non-Utah|
|Dossier Submission Fee||No Charge by Mexico|
|Translation Fees||≈$400 to $550|
|Foreign Attorney Fee||$6,000 – $8,000+ incidental expenses|
|Visa Fee||$325 +$100 proxy fee|
|Exit Medical Fees||$550|
|I-800A Filing||$805 + $30 for each adult living in the home|
|1st Trip to Mexico||≈$800 to 1,400 Airfare ≈200-400 per day per couple for accommodations|
|2nd Trip to Mexico||≈$800 to 1,400 Airfare ≈200-400 per day per couple for accommodations|
|Child Care Fee||NOT APPLICABLE|
*These fees are required by the agency, Wasatch International Adoptions.
**These fees are required by the foreign country.
***These fees may vary from dossier to dossier depending on the number of documents (for example a single person’s dossier will be smaller than a married couple’s dossier). Expenses also may vary depending on when you travel, where you travel in country, and where you stay. Country Fees are never to be considered a stable or set fee as it is not determined nor in the control of WIA. WIA makes every effort to stay current as to fees but third party and country fees may change without notice or reason.
**Note: Upon request, WIA will disclose the following: Service policy Contracts, the number of adoption placements per year for the prior 3 calendar years, the number of placements that remain intact, the number of families who apply to adopt each year, and the number of waiting children eligible for adoption. To obtain this information please call our office.