1. Financial Obligations and Expenses. The adoptive parent(s) understand and agree to pay the financial obligations (the “Fees and Expenses”) set forth on Schedule B – Fees and Expenses, attached hereto.
2. Country Change Fee. In the event that the adoptive family’s chosen country enters in to a suspension or closure to adoption, there is no charge to the adoptive parent(s) to change to another country adoption program. Should the adoptive family voluntarily decide at any time during the adoption process to change to a different WIA adoption program/country, there will be a $200 change fee applicable, due at the time of program conversion.
3. Refund Policy. Adoptive parent(s) may decide to discontinue the adoption at any time during the process, but once fees have been paid to begin the next step of the process, they are not refundable except as otherwise outlined in the Refund Policy. Adoptive parent(s) are cautioned to consider carefully their decision to continue with the process when paying fees for each step of the adoption process.
4. Adoption Related Expenses. WIA will provide an estimate of the all adoption related expenses. This estimate is intended to be a guideline only for the convenience of the adoptive parent(s). The costs of many of these expenses are in the control of third parties over whom WIA has no control, and, therefore, the costs could change at any time. To the extent that WIA does provide an estimated range for travel or other expenses, WIA assumes no liability if the actual cost of any of the expenses estimated therein exceeds the estimated amount. Adoptive parent(s) hereby agree to hold WIA harmless in the even that the adoption related expenses exceed the estimate of expenses provided herein.
5. Foreign Fees. With respect to fees that are payable to WIA for Foreign Fees, WIA hereby agrees that it will not charge additional fees and expenses beyond those disclosed in this Agreement, except as otherwise set forth herein. In the event that unforeseen additional fees and expenses arise in the foreign country, WIA will incur or pay no additional expenses or fees on behalf of the adoptive parent(s) only under the conditions set forth below:
- WIA will disclose the fees and expenses in writing to the adoptive parent(s).
- To the extent such additional fees exceed $1,000, WIA will not incur such additional fees without the adoptive parent(s) express permission. WIA will obtain the specific consent of the adoptive parent(s) prior to making such expenditure without advance permission.
- WIA will provide written receipts to the adoptive parent(s) for fees and expenses paid directly by WIA or person in the foreign country and will retain copies of such receipts.
The adoption process is completed by following a logical step by step procedure. Fees for services provided in each phase of the adoption are billed when adoptive parent(s) reach that specific stage of the adoption process. Adoptive parents are encouraged to carefully consider their commitment to the adoption before going forward with each phase of the adoption process. When adoptive parent(s) are billed for services to be performed, and the payment for the service is received, it is implied that the adoptive parents have made the commitment to proceed with the adoption and at that point work on their behalf by WIA begins. When fees for any phase of the adoption process are paid, those fees are not refundable except for circumstances outlined below. This refund policy is strictly adhered to at all times. Following is a list of each of the phases of the adoption process and the refund policy associated with these specific fees.
1. Application Fee. When the application is submitted to WIA and the fee associated with the submission of the application is received, this fee is non-refundable. No application will be processed without payment of the application fee. The fees paid for application submission cover the cost of processing the application, staff review of the application and printing and mailing costs associated with the acceptance of the application and the materials sent to move to the next phase of the adoption process.
2. Program Fee. When the application has been approved and contracts signed for a specific adoption program, adoptive parents are cautioned to consider carefully their decision to go forward with the adoption before sending in the program fee. Once the program fee is received it is an implied commitment from the adoptive parents that they desire to go forward to the next phase of the adoption. When this fee and the signed contracts are received by WIA, this fee is non- refundable. The fees paid to enter a specific adoption program cover the cost of instruction manuals and any printed materials, parent education regarding international adoption, staff assistance throughout the adoption process and overhead and administrative costs.
3. Home Study Fee. When a home study application and fee is submitted to WIA, it is an implied commitment from the adoptive parents that they desire this service be performed. Once the home study process begins and a home visit is made, this fee is non-refundable. If the adoptive parents contact WIA before the social worker makes the first home visit, there is a $200 charge to the adoptive parents for processing work done on their behalf. The remaining fees paid for the home study will be refunded within 30 days of the request for the refund. The fees paid for home study service pay the salary of the social worker completing the home study and the administrative work done by office staff to open and maintain a file for the adoptive parent information and agency overhead.
4. Home Study Review Fee. An agency review of any non-Utah home study submitted to WIA is required. When the completed home study and the home study review fee have been submitted to WIA, it is an implied commitment that the adoptive parents want to continue with the adoption process. The Home Study Review process begins the day the home study is received and the review is completed within 5 working days of receipt of the study. The fees charged for a home study review pay the salary of the social worker completing the review. Once the home study is received and the process begins, this fee is non-refundable. In the case that WIA is contacted before the home study and fee is received by WIA, and the adoptive parent(s) ask to have this returned to them without the review being performed, the adoptive parents will receive a refund within 30 days of their request for a refund.
5. Dossier Submission Fee. When a completed dossier and the fee associated with the dossier submission is sent to WIA, it is an implied commitment from the adoptive parents that they intend to continue with the process. Once the dossier and the associated fee are mailed to the foreign country, this fee is non-refundable.
6. Document Handling Fee. When the adoptive parents submit the completed dossier and the associated fee, it is an implied commitment from the adoptive parents that they intend to continue with the adoption process. Once this fee is paid, this fee is non-refundable. The only exception to this policy is if WIA is contacted by the adoptive parent(s) before WIA receives the completed dossier and the associated fee and the adoptive parents ask to have the dossier and the fee returned. If adoptive parents make this request both the fee and their dossier will be returned to them within 30 days of their request.
7. Foreign Fee. When the dossier is submitted to the foreign country, there is a specific fee that is associated with the adoption in order for the adoption to be completed. When the adoptive parents send the foreign fee and their completed dossier to WIA, it is an implied commitment from the adoptive parents that they intend to continue with the adoption process. Once the completed dossier and fee has been mailed to the country the process begins and funds are immediately disbursed. Once this money is disbursed, however, partial refunds are available to adoptive parents depending on how close to completion of the adoption they are. If the adoptive parents contact WIA before the dossier has been sent and before funds have been wired to the foreign country ask to have the dossier returned, the completed dossier and the money will be returned to the adoptive parent(s) within 30 days of their request. This policy and procedure applies to all payments of all foreign fees during all phases of the foreign process. Refunds for foreign fees are at the discretion of the Orphanage Director.
8. Placement Fee. When this fee is paid and the adoptive family accepts a referral for a child, WIA has fulfilled the commitment to the adoptive parents to find a suitable child to adopt. The placement fee is for the work done by WIA on behalf of the adoptive parents to obtain this child referral. When the referral acceptance form has been signed and the fee has been paid, this part of the adoption services provided by WIA has been completed and this fee is non-refundable.
Rarely, but from time to time, a referral may be withdrawn by the foreign country for a variety of reasons. These reasons may include, but are not limited to such things as illness of the child, the untimely death of the child, or the return of birth parents. Also, the adoptive parent(s) may accept the referral of a child and later find the child has medical problems that make it necessary to request a new referral. If this unforeseen event happens, WIA will do all possible to obtain a new referral of a suitable child for the adoptive parent(s) and the placement fee will be transferred to the new child referral.
9. Post Adoption Fees. Each placing country requires post adoption reports from the adoptive parents and adoptive parent(s) sign a contract agreeing to provide these reports as required by the placing country. When this fee is paid by the adoptive parents at the time they sign the child referral acceptance form, it is an implied commitment from the adoptive parents that they intend to continue the adoption process. This fee is used to track and schedule the post adoption visits, to translate the post placement reports, and to mail them to the placing country. In the case of Utah adoptive clients, this fee also covers the cost of the social worker visit to the home and the completed post adoption report. The fees paid to WIA do not cover any visits by social workers for clients living outside of the state of Utah. These families agree to pay, the agency performing the post adoption report, any fees associated with the social worker visits. This fee is only refundable if the adoption is not completed by the adoptive parent(s).
10. Refund of Fees paid to Foreign Supervised Providers: Funds can be refunded for services that are not provided. WIA bills adoptive parents for all foreign fees which are due at various times during the adoption process, and this money is forwarded to the Foreign Supervised Provider to pay for the costs of adoption services as required by the foreign country. The Foreign Supervised Provider will provide an itemized statement for all fees and expenses paid. When services are not provided for the fees paid by the adoptive parents, WIA will refund any fees not expended on behalf of the adoption of the child in the foreign country and will refund these fees within 30 days of the completion of the request for a refund.
11. Refund of Agency Fees: Fees paid for services that are not provided can be refunded. When services are not provided on behalf of the adoptive parents once fees have been paid, a refund must be requested by the adoptive parents. This refund must be submitted in writing to the Executive Director by the adoptive parents. When the refund request has been approved, WIA will refund these fees within 30 days of the request for the refund